Monday, November 06, 2006

Ode to the Bitter and Confused

THIS GRAVE CONTAINS
ALL THAT WAS MORTAL OF
A YOUNG ENGLISH POET
WHO
ON HIS DEATH-BED
IN THE BITTERNESS OF HIS HEART
at the malicious power of his enemies
desired these words to be engraved
on his tomstone
"HERE LIES ONE WHOSE NAME
WAS WRIT IN WATER"
FEB 24 1821
Keats, of course.
No other Poet would illustrate his death is such a fashion.
This request,
bitter as it may be,
describes the life Keats lead.
Everything from his difficult childhood,
His defeated love,
To his untimely death.
Or maybe it's just the perfect way to describe life.
"I have two luxuries to brood over in my walks, your Loveliness and the hour of my death. O that I could have possession of them both in the same minute. I hate the world: it batters too much the wings of my self-will, and would I could take a sweet poison from your lips to send me out of it."
(Excerpt from a letter from John Keats to Fanny Brawne.")
The sexual undertone obvious here...
Today has been one of the most tiring days.
Treacherous.
Challenging.
Simply unsuccessful.
But I just cannot stop enjoying certain moments.
It seems to be leaning into something positive.
Something I didn't entirely expect...
It's incredible how many of us are torn between emotions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home