Thursday, November 02, 2006

Life

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it...Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being."
(Quote from "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Brontë, Chapter 9.)

What is it about "Wuthering Heights" that describes me?

Maybe it's the crazy romance.
The hope of something more that the mundane life lead by so many.
Myself being incredibly childish and sincerely in love with
the idea of love and romance and perfect beauty,
I find Emily Brontë's view of life incredible.
She writes so knowigly.

Maybe that's the factor of interest.
Emily herself lived till the young age of thirty.
There are no reasonable records of her having been in love,
or even having had mild affairs.
How can someone with such little experience describe Life?

How is it plausible, that someone with such a sheltered life,
describe things far from innocent.
"Wuthering Heights" is sensual.
It's disturbing.
Frightening.
Disruptive.
Sexual.
Violent.
Yet so beautiful.
So calm.
Clear.
Simple.

Maybe that's the answer.
Experience doesn't have to bring Love.
It doesn't have to include Life.
I suppose it is all about attempting to Live.
Live in a manner that may one day satisfy.

Now only to discover what this life thing is...


P.S.
Webster's describes life as:

1 a : the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body
(No, no, there's definitely something wrong about that definition given the topic at hand...)

2 a : the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up the existence of an individual
(Ok then, so that was virtually one of the most painfully hollow definitions.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home